The African music industry has experienced a lot of massive music collaborations that have changed its outlook and many of these collaborations have the Nigerian touch. Looking at these collaborations, we would be pointing out those that had a Nigerian artiste’s impact. i.e the biggest songs in Africa that has the efforts of a Nigerian artiste and other African artists.
In order to refresh your memories with these songs, we have highlighted for you below the 5 biggest collaborations between a Nigerian artiste and another/other act(s) from other African countries.
1. Diamond Plantnumz “Number One” Ft Davido: This song till today is one of the biggest collaborations between a Nigerian artiste and an African artiste to have ever been done. The song belongs to Tanzanian singer; Diamond Plantnumz and it became a major African hit song just few days after its release. Thanks to the massive support both artists were having then in the continent. it was released on the 14th of January, 2019 and it won numerous awards.
2.R2Bees “Kiss Your Hand” Ft Wande Coal: This powerful jam was released in 2010 to a brilliant reception from music fans. R2bees who are a major music group in Ghana & Africa at large, sought the assistance of the Black Diamond on this track and the outcome was a blast. The effect of the song was important in further enhancing the music relationship between Nigerian artistes and Ghanaian artistes.
3. DJ Maphorisa “Soweto Baby” Ft Wizkid & DJ Buckz: This would arguably pass as the biggest song of 2016 and definitely one of the biggest Nigerian-African collaborations of all time. The song which was released on December 15, 2015 didn’t really meet enthusiastic reactions, but it gradually became the love of many as weeks passed by until it established itself into a fully blown banger. “Soweto baby” won best song collaboration at the MAMA awards in 2016 and many even regard it as one of the biggest song collaborations Africa ever made.
4. Runtown “Said” x Nasty C: Could there be anyone who would be asked about the biggest Nigerian-African collaborations of all time and not mention “Said”? This track is just pure bliss and it is a combination of Nigerian singer, Runtown and South African superstar; Nasty C. The song although has been widely reported to be owned by a major world beverage brand, however, It hasn’t deterred the awesomeness in the song. This song was released in August 2017.
5. Davido “Tchelete” Ft Mafikizolo: Mafikizolo were having a great buzz in Africa in 2014 and Davido thought it as a great idea to put them on a song. The decision was taken by the superstar and that decision produced “Tchelete.” The song upon release made a serious wave in Africa and with the help of the South African Mafikizolo, it quickly topped music charts in the country. “Tchelete” topped charts in Nigeria as well and other African countries.
6. 2face “My Love” Ft VIP: This song is part of 2baba’s sophomore album; “Grass To Grace.”My Love” featured then raving Ghanaian music group; VIP. The number 12 track of the “Grass To Grace” album did really well in Africa and with the help of its quite hilarious video, it turned out to be a smash hit even without it being a single. This song was one of those factors that aided the artists’ relationship between Nigerian and Ghanaian acts. The “Grass 2 Grace” Album was released in December 2006.
7. Emtee “Roll Up” Ft Wizkid & AKA: Almost every Nigerian-South African collaboration seem to always be a hit and this is evident in the appearances in number that these collaborations made while this list was being compiled. And this is also evident with the remix to “Roll Up” which is a collaborative effort from two SA artistes and Wizkid. “Roll Up” is a rap single that became a huge record and the favourite of many. It definitely deserves a spot on this list. “Roll Up” was released in November 2015.
8. Patoranking “No Kissing” Ft Sarkodie: “No Kissing” is a really huge record that left Nigeria and Ghana to spread across other African countries. It was always blasted in the speakers present in clubs, parties and many more places the service of a DJ is required. Patoranking called on Ghanaian rapper; Sarkodie, to bless the track with some really hot bars which turned out to be an extremely creative move. “No Kissing” is a certified banger, there isn’t no argument about that and it deserves a spot on this list too.
9. Davido “The Sound” Ft Uhuru: Davido kick-started his 2015 music journey with the song which he released in January and it features South African music group; Uhuru and another SA artiste; DJ Buckz. “The Sound” became an instant hit when it dropped and quickly swam through the shores of Nigeria to other African nations. The song was dropped along with with side a crisp video which is a blessing to the eyes.
10. Runtown “The Banger” Ft Uhuru: Runtown featured Uhuru on this massive hit which was a darling of a lot of African music fans during its most explosive era. The song was released in December 2014 and became an instant “banger.” It was heavily streamed in South Africa and Nigeria as well as other parts of Africa. It sneaked into our list of the biggest Nigeria-Africa collaborations.