Burna Boy, whose real name is Oluwadamini Ogulu has by far done an amazing job within a short period and is constantly putting Nigeria on the global map through Afrobeat.
The self-acclaimed African Giant has gone beyond making freestyles and music just for the clubhouses (mixtape wonder) to a rebellious and inspirational artiste. He now makes sure music lovers all over the world are able to view Afrobeat music through a whole new lens.
Recently, the “Ye” crooner has been getting a whole lot of international recognition and deals, unlocking a whole new level of achievement. With the few following achievements,918Kiss and points.
1. 3 Time BET Award Winner. The catch-phrase “Do am if e easy” like he fondly says came to play about 2 weekends ago, when Burna Boy became a 3rd-time winner of the BET Awards as “Best International Act”. Burna Boy has won this award for 3 consecutive years (2019, 2020, and 2021).
Although his counterparts, Wizkid and Davido have won this category award twice, they have not been able to secure their 3rd or consecutive wins.
2. In March 2021, Burna Boy brought home his first-ever Grammy Award, in the “Best Global Music Album” category. His 2020 Album, “Twice as Tall earned him the award.
Although his colleague Wizkid won the Grammy, as well in March 2021 as a result of his feature on Beyonce’s “Brown Skin Girl”, Burna won independently and was nominated for the Grammy twice in a row; In 2020 (with his 2019 Album, ‘African Giant’) and 2021 (which he won).
3. In May 2021, Burna Boy made history as the first African artist to achieve over 100 million streams on Spotify, – a Swedish audio streaming and media services, provider. His last three albums, ‘African Giant,’ ‘Outside’ and ‘Twice As Tall’ had each hit 100 million on the said platform according to local reports.
He is currently the most-streamed male afrobeat artiste on the platform with over 9 Million monthly listeners. Wizkid is the second with 5 Million + monthly listeners.
4. Also on the video streaming platform – YouTube, Burna Boy has now surpassed Davido on highest single video views. He is currently the Nigerian artistes with the most-watched music video. Burna Boy’s On The Low music video now has over 212 Million views.
The views of ‘On The Low’ and ‘YE’ has passed that of Davido’s ‘Fall’ and ‘IF’ who was initially the first Afrobeat artist to surpass 200 and 100 Million views respectively.
5. Presently, on the International level, Burna Boy is the most sought after. He was selected as one of the prominent faces to be on the Pepsi Global campaign alongside the likes Messi, Pogba, and also to make a UCL Theme Song with Becky G.
View this post on Instagram
- Canadian singer, Justin Beiber released his album, “Justice” which features the Grammy-award winner, Burna Boy in the song “Loved by You”. Burna Boy is the only Nigerian artist featured on the project, alongside the likes of Khalid, Chance the Rapper, the Kid Laroi, Dominic Fike, Daniel Caesar, Giveon, DaBaby, to mention a few.
Is It Safe To Say That Burna Boy Has Surpassed Wizkid And David on Afrobeat level, And Now The No.1???